Monday, July 17, 2017

How Lessons in Humility Helped Me Understand Donald Trump Supporters

Recently a dear friend of mine let me know she had to put down her old dog. I grieved with her and as a token of sympathy, I looked up and sent her the post I did a number of years ago when I had to say goodbye to my dog. The post made me cry; I could remember the event clearly. Just to distract myself, I read some of my other posts, and wondered what on earth had happened to make me stop writing.

I have recently started blogging again at my other site, Raven’s Cruise Log, because David and I are finally seeing the end of our land-based exile. But that’s the first writing I have done in almost four years, and it’s mostly just sharing what we are doing on the boat, mostly to keep me motivated. I know every month I must post progress, so I’m more inclined to slog on and make some.

After several years of working to have a successful business (I tried several), my high point earnings were about $17,000 and David gave me the Look and said, you have to get a real job. So I got one. It required I spend all day on a computer basically doing data entry. My days turned gray with the boring work and I had little enthusiasm for looking at a computer screen when I got home in the evening. We moved from the boat to an RV to have more space and life didn't seem very exotic at all. Time for writing also took a back seat to a Tuesday night Bible study and Thursday night choir practice.

About the same time, I got really, really sick. I knew something was going on because I was just exhausted all the time. I was losing my hair, I caught every cold that wandered by, I had shingles, and I was a total insomniac. I was finally diagnosed as having Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. I am treating it with thyroid meds, but also with a very strict diet (Google “autoimmune protocol” for details – it does work!). I monitor my nutrition, I cook 98% of all my meals. I investigate root causes and side issues (digestion, inflammation, nutrition, stress reduction, etc.) What energy I had was completely absorbed in finding out about and dealing with this disease and in slogging to work every day. That left very little time and no enthusiasm for writing.

The good news is, at this point I am almost symptom free and have no antibodies attacking my thyroid, we have moved back onto the boat, and – Holy Toledo! I am retired! All of those things are very good news!

Although it was quite painful, the whole experience at work was an eye-opener, both in terms of knowing myself better and in terms of understanding the life experience of the vast majority of people who have not had my advantages. I discovered I was being ham-strung by pride on both ends of the spectrum. On the high end, it was “You are bright and experienced and way too good for this job.” On the low end, it was “You are pathetic, this is the only thing you can do to earn a living.” Both ends were equally unlovely.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my job except that it hurt my feelings. It didn’t feed my vanity in any way. I was never consulted (even about procedures having to do with my own job!), I was never thanked or recognized, I was not rewarded financially, and my input and insight were neither desired nor valued. My business sense was ignored. I was a cog. Pretty deflating, right? 

And yet, I am grateful for this experience for it has been very good for showing me my pride in all its glory and for allowing me to cultivate the virtue of humility. Humility is just the quality of accepting things (and yourself) as you are, neither more nor less. That’s not to say we don’t strive to be our best, but it’s a striving that has to do with quality and satisfaction with one’s performance, not the esteem of others. Good practice for someone who has always been overly motivated by others’ opinions.

Another valuable insight from this experience is seeing how working people (the working class we pretend we don’t have in America) live and think, how they are routinely ignored, devalued, exploited, and shamed. It isn’t pretty. I see this in the remarks made in the media that show that the people making them have no idea that people of value can be poor, uneducated, ignorant and also generous, humorous, wise, and honest. No, not everyone has those virtues, either in the working class or anywhere else. But those virtues are at least as apparent in the men and women who strive to earn a living working with their hands. They seem to have a better grasp of reality. The reality of struggling between customers and suppliers, of juggling government regulations, taxes, lack of health care, and the weather. The weather shuts down lots of our customers (and guts our sales). Heavy rain for a week? No income for the boat painters and maintenance folk and no income for their suppliers.

I hear their worries about charging their usually well-heeled customers full price for supplies. They underbid each other all the time for work, and that cuts them out of a decent income. The next time someone is doing work you cannot do, don’t begrudge them their wage. You can’t fix your own car? Then pay someone to do it, and realize that your hourly wage is probably six to ten times more than the person you have just hired. They are saving you that amount of work and income by doing the work you would otherwise have to do yourself.

I’ve spent the last year stripping and varnishing the teak below decks on our sailboat/home, Raven, and believe me, whatever you are charged for that sort of job, you need to pay and then some. When you don’t work with your hands, you don’t realize the time involved. It takes time to do things properly, and that means the hourly labor cost is going to be higher than you expect. So if you suspect foul play, go and watch the process. Honest folks don’t mind, and you might get an education.

These are the folks who are solidly behind Donald Trump. They are the left behind, the ignored, the forgotten, the dismissed, the demeaned. And they are some kind of angry. They don’t care what Donald has done or will do, as long as the folks who have left them behind, ignored them, forgotten them, dismissed them, and demeaned them are booted out of power. Now. So what if Donald Trump is a moral degenerate? They (politicians) all are. At least he’s different. That’s what I would hear from the front counter when I walked by. And no matter what he does, he’s not One of Them.

It’s not a mindset that is amenable to reason or facts or deeds or analysis, because the root is too deep and too emotional and too long endured.

No comments: